Update from yesterday
Dad was discharged about 6pm this evening.
I got there early this morning. He looked like dog poop. Like really bad dog poop.
His BP was up a bit. They did a heart ultrasound. Then they were gonna do the stress test. Injected him with the radioactive dye and took him away. About 3 hours and 45 mins later he was back (supposed to be a 2 1/2 hour test btw). He looked like dog crap - AGAIN.
Apparantly on the treadmill they couldn't get his heart rate up to what they needed it to be to do the monitor and get a clear picture. So they had to chemically stress his heart. Thus the looking like absolute dog poop.
About an hour after that the nurse stopped me in the hallway and said "we are gonna let your dad go home"!!! Woo Hooo!!! I got to tell him the big news.
Apparantly nothing on the stress test showed up wrong with his heart. Whatever caused the chest pain and the shooting pain down his arm was NOT his heart. It could have been some of the 14 medicines he is on. Or stress. Or the hormones he is on for the prostate cancer.
Let's review the lessons we have learned.
1. If you have chest pains, shooting pain down your arm and sweats on SATURDAY and SUNDAy - you should not wait and go to your doctor for a normal check-up. One should go to the ER immediately. (Giant lecture by the doc. Ordered to immediately go to the ER)
2. If you have an empty, unimproved lot next door to you that you own and your neighborhood comes and mows the lot once a month - it is OK if you wait 6 f'ing days for them to mow it. Espedcially when it is AUGUST in TEXAS and it is 97 degrees out.
3. Following up on #2 - just because you don't use a push mower and instead are on yoru riding lawnmower - you are still physically exerting yourself.
4. In order to re-hydrate yourself from #2 and #3 - one should NOT use Diet Coke. Water is a much smarter idea.
5. When you are 77 years old - any combination of 1, 2, 3 and 4 above is you just being stubborn. Your children, wife and numerous other people love you. But you have been a stubborn ass. And you were told so.
21 August 2007
Update from yesterday