12 February 2007

New Currency

While the US Mint seems to grapple with a new coin versus possibly getting rid of the dollar bill, I stopped off at Kroger's to pick up food for dinner.

My bill was $21.06. I used my debit card and asked for $15.00 back. Total - $36.06.

The cashier asked me how I wanted my change. I kinda stared at her (thinking a ten and a five was the standard). She said "Do you want a fifteen dollar bill as your change?"

Now, rather than "kinda stared", I flat out looked at her like she was the dumbest thing in the world and wondered about the education system today.

She looked at me, giggled, and said "Umm...I am dumb today. I guess there isn't a fifteen dollar bill".

The world is in trouble. Giant trouble. HUGE trouble.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bwahahahahahaha!

Unknown said...

Ha! It always worries me that so many cashiers have to rely on the calculator to hand back change! When I was reading your post, I had to wonder if I'd missed the introduction of the $15-I don't watch the news too often, so I guess it could happen!!

Heather said...

I know just what you mean! I had a total the other day of $13.45. I gave the woman (who was at least twice my age) $23.50 and she could not for the life of her figure out what I had done. She also put my money in the drawer before handing me back my change (a big no-no in case of a mistake) and thought I had given her $22.50. The manager (who was about my age) had to assure her I had given her $23.50 and she should give me back $10.05. Whew! That was scary!