05 October 2008

We Learned About Birthin' A Baby

Yesterday we spent the day at childbirth preparation class.

I wasn't prepared for the films. I had plenty of warnings from others about the grossness of the films but really, I wasn't prepared.

Placentas are quite gross looking.

I was amazed at the number of couples who didn't ask a single question. Really. Our teacher was quite good but do you really have NO questions?

I don't know how much I really want to do the whole natural birth thing. I knew that there were multiple stages of labor. But I didn't "know, know" that there were multiple stages of labor. So, I would like to ask tv shows and movies to show stuff a bit more realistically.

I wasn't prepared for the random emotions that would come forth. There were several times when I literally was wiping away the tears. Thinking back now, I have no idea what caused those but soemthing did.

Oh and seriously - placentas are gross looking.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh brave one! I have never looked at a placenta. I flunked childbirth classes. I took the class with my eyes closed.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow...I bow to you and your bravery. *yikes* My mom says that my dad nearly passed out when one of us was born (me or my sister, not sure which). HE nearly passed out. Harrumph. :-) Some of Nature's most amazing processes are not always the most pretty, I guess, but I am sure it will be totally worth it!! Hugs to you!

Issa said...

Ok, first you'll never have to look at your own placenta. Second, people are scared to ask questions the first week or two. Wait for a few weeks and you'll hear the dumbest questions in the world. Third, I'll tell you anything if you want to know it.

Are you doing natural? Or just going to try without drugs?

Anonymous said...

Okay - birth class videos are not for the timid. With my first child I was SCARED to death and would cry every time I started thinking about labor. And those birth videos did not help me at all... In fact, after one really intense one, we left the class and I told my husband, "I don't think I can do this."

But, I did - and had 2 more. So, I guess what I'm saying is: Don't worry too much about those birthing videos. What the teacher tells you is much more valuable.

Oh - and stage of labor? If you have to be induced there is no such thing. I had to learn that the hard way.

Oh - and if could recommend anything....attend a breast feeding class. The info I learned there helped me immensely for after the baby was born.

Badness Jones said...

I never saw either of my babies' placentas. But both times, when the baby was crowning the nurses asked me if I wanted to touch the head....the second time I managed to say no thank you politely, but the first time I looked up at the nurse and said, "Omigod! What is WRONG with you?! NO NO NO, I just want to get this baby out of me! Just GET IT OUT, OK!!!!

btw, I had an epidural with both. HIghly recommend it.

and my childbirth classes were cancelled due to SARS.

And Happy Anniversary!!!

TxGambit said...

I did natural three times. Granted my first baby was only 6 lbs 8 oz but my last was 8 lbs 11 oz.... sooo...

I don't remember them showing films in my class.