02 February 2007

Red Friday


OK - So I keep seeing emails about starting Red Friday. Everyone should wear something Red on Fridays in support of our troops.

I am fine with that. I really am. And now starts the rant.

It shouldn't be just Friday you support the troops. It should be EVERY DAY. You don't have to wear Red everyday. Just support our men and women who wear the uniform.

If you see someone walking down the street in uniform. Smile. Say Thank you.

I don't give a CRAP if you support the war or not. Nobody likes war. Why would you? It's a horrible thing. Men and Women die. But you know what - its these men and women who wear the uniform and raise their hand and swear to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States who allow us to have the freedoms we have.
Freedom isn't free. It comes at a very painful cost. I hate knowing that some of my friends have gone off to war and I didn't know if they would return.
I spent a month in Iraq. I talked with these soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines. I've eaten meals with them. I have sat through their briefings. These ladies and gentlemen are proud to be doing what they are doing. Do they agree with it? I don't know. And I don't give a damn. This is their job.
When I looked at them, standing in line for chow, coming in from patrol, getting ready to go out on patrol - I was stunned. They looked so young. But the pride I felt for them was overwhelming. My favorite story about interacting with one of them was walking up to the dessert line and a young soldier walked up next to me. He had obviously come back from patrol. Was dirty and obviously tired. I said to him "Please go ahead of me". He said "No Ma'am, you go first". I said "Soldier, I get to stay on base today. I don't have to leave this base. Please...please go ahead". His reply, "Thank you, Ma'am. I appreciate it". Dammit. As he got in line ahead of me, I felt the tears well up. Crap. Here he was letting me go ahead of him to get a damn slice of cake. And he appreciated me letting him go first? What a fine man. I felt such pride at that moment.
It really is an amazing thing. they are willing to give up their life for YOU. So you can sit on your couch and watch tv. So you can drive your car to the mall. And they are willing to give up their life so you can stand on a street corner and protest. They are willing to die so these "protest" groups can carry signs that say "God Hates Soldiers" and "God Bless the I.E.D" (Improvised Explosive Device - a.k.a. Roadside Bomb). And btw, those groups make my blood absolutely boil.
So, the next time you see someone in uniform. Say thank you. Smile. Tell them you appreciate them. I know I would have. And I know thousands and thousands of those who have served before would have.
This picture is of a US Soldier in Iraq with his bomb sniffing dog. They got out of the cold and are getting some well-deserved rest.
Freedom is not free. Please remember to never forget.
"We will always remember.
We will always be proud.
We will always be prepared.
So we may always be free."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great story thank you for sharing that.

I am so proud of our soldiers. I just wish they would all come home already!